Voices against the war in Kosovo 
Voci contro la guerra in Kosovo 
Home | News  | Analysis | Search | Links
Text of Kosovo Peace Plan approved by Serbian Parliament on June 3rd
In order to move forward toward solving the Kosovo crisis, an agreement should be reached on the following principles:
1. Imminent and verifiable end to violence and repression of Kosovo.
2. Verifiable withdrawal from Kosovo of military, police and paramilitary forces according to a quick timetable.
3. Deployment in Kosovo, under U.N. auspicies, of efficient international civilian and security presences which would act as can be decided according to Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter and be capable of guaranteeing fulfillment of joint goals.
4. International security presence, with an essential NATO participation, must be deployed under a unified control and command and authorized to secure safe environment for all the residents in Kosovo and enable the safe return of the displaced persons and refugees to their homes.
5. Establishment of an interim administration for Kosovo as a part of international civilian presence, which the U.N. Security Council will decide and under which the people of Kosovo will enjoy substantial autonomy within the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. The interim administration (will) secure transitional authority during the time (for the) interim democratic and self-governing institutions, (establish) conditions for peaceful and normal life of all citizens of Kosovo.
6. After the withdrawal, an agreed number of Serb personnel will be allowed to return to perform the following duties: liaison with the international civilian mission and international security presence, marking mine fields, maintaining a presence at places of Serb heritage, maintaining a presence at key border crossings.
7. Safe and free return of all refugees and the displaced under the supervision of UNHCR and undisturbed access for humanitarian organizations to Kosovo.
8. Political process directed at reaching interim political agreement which would secure essential autonomy for Kosovo, with full taking into consideration of the Rambouillet agreement, the principles of sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and other states in the region as well as demilitarization of the Kosovo Liberation Army. The talks between the sides about the solution should not delay or disrupt establishment of the democratic self-governing institutions.
approach to the economic development of the crisis region. That would
include carrying out a pact of stability for southeastern Europe, wide
international participation in order to advance democracy and economic
prosperity, and stability and regional cooperation.
10. The end of military activities will depend on acceptance of the listed principles and simultaneous agreement with other previously identified elements which are identified in the footnote below. Then a military-technical agreement will be agreed which will among other things specify additional modalities, including the role and function of the Yugoslav, i.e. Serb, personnel in Kosovo.
11. The process of withdrawal includes a phased, detailed timetable and the marking of a buffer zone in Serbia behind which the troops will withdraw.
12. The returning personnel: The equipment of the returning personnel, the range of their functional responsibilities, the timetable for their return, determination of the geographic zones of their activity, the rules guiding their relations with the international security presence and the international civilian mission.
Other required elements:
- Fast and precise timetable for the withdrawal which means for instance: seven days to end the withdrawal; pulling out of weapons of air defense from the zone of the mutual security of 25 kilometers within 48 hours;
- Return of the personnel to fulfill the four duties will be carried out under the supervision of the international security presence and will be limited to a small agreed number — hundreds, not thousands.
- Suspension of military actions will happen after the beginning of the withdrawal which can be verified.
Discussion about the military-technical agreement and its reaching will not prolong the agreed period for the withdrawal.
|= [in Italian]|